Despite continuing its own hunt for great revenue, it looks like Facebook wants to put some money back in the hands of its users.
The social media giant distributed a survey this week asking select members their preferences on ways of giving money to others, or donating to a cause. The survey, first spotted by The Verge, lists a number of potential ways to move cash around including a tip jar, donation option, and call-to-action button.
It’s not clear if or when any changes will occur, and the language within the survey suggests any potential additions may only be available to verified members. If implemented, the features would mark the first time users are given the ability to receive money directly for their Facebook updates.
This is one of the many major moves Facebook may use to get people and companies posting content. Last week we reported that Facebook would start rolling out Instant Article, a publishing platform that hosts content direct on the company’s servers for fast viewing. Last year Facebook said it would begin giving video creators money for the ads that sit alongside its videos, the same sort of thing Youtube has been doing since 2007.
While it is still unknown when or even if users will start making money for their own posts, now seems like a great time to start cooking up good ideas for Facebook updates. Who knows, you might make a living out of it one day.
The Daily Dot
How To Start A Blog That Earns A Real Income
For those that are looking to start a blog and earn a real income, this is the ultimate freedom. However, this digital nomad lifestyle isn't that new. People have been making money online for decades now. And as the internet saturates more and more of …
Washington Post (blog)
Live blogging the latest on a heavy snow threat Monday night into Tuesday (UPDATES)
Washington Post (blog)
… * Winter storm warning for areas along and west of Interstate 95 in D.C. area, including the District, 7 p.m. Monday to 2 p.m. Tuesday | Winter storm watch for Stafford, Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties *. Watches, warnings, and advisories …
Whether youre a stay-at-home parent, college student, or just looking to pay down your debt, we could all use some extra cash.
While we could find a part-time gig, like driving for Uber, or start earning a passive income through affiliate marketing, wouldnt be it nice if you were able to make some fast cash from the friendly confines of your home?
That may sound too good to be true, it is possible if you do so, like these 50 ways that you can make an easy $100 this month from home.
1. Have a yard sale. We all have junk taking up space in our homes. Take a couple of hours to go through your house and look for the items that youre no longer using, such as DVDs, strollers, or kitchen tools and appliances. Then have a yard sale, weather depending of course.
2. Sell your valuables online. Yard sales are an easy way to make some quick cash, but some of your items will definitely fitch higher prices online. Items like antiques or your old Star Wars collection are better suited on sites like eBay. The same is true for larger items like playhouses or bicycles. Place them on Craigslist or a Facebook page so that they buyer can pick them up at your home.
3. Sell your used books. Sites like Bookscouter ensure that you get the best price available for your used books, as opposed to the pennies that you would make by selling them to a bookstore.
4. Sell your gadgets. If you have some old cell phones and tablets lying around then sell them on Gazelle. Just remember that youll make the most money by selling newer devices that are still in-demand.
5. Sell your crafts. Thanks to sites like Etsy you can easily sell your handmade crafts online by creating an online storefront in just a matter of minutes.
6. Drop ship. Dont have anything to sell? Try dropshipping. This is where you simply sell products for a manufacture on eBay or Amazon. The best part? The manufacture handles the shipping and handling for you.
7. Resell unused gift cards. We all have received gift cards from stores that we dont frequent. Instead of letting them go to waste you can sell them online through places like Raise.com. For example, you can sell a $150 Macys gift card and receive around $116. The funds are sent via Direct Deposit, PayPal or check.
8. Become a direct marketer. You’re probably familiar with companies like Tupperware or Avon where you sell products or services directly either online or by hosting a party. But, those are just two examples of direct marketing companies where you can make some extra dough each month.
9. Rent out a spare room. Why let that spare room go unattended? Rent it out on Airbnb to make some quick cash on the side.
10. Rent out your parking space/driveway. If you reside in an area where there are a lot of commuters, or in close proximity to a venue thats hosting a popular event, then consider renting out your parking space or driveway on JustPark or Craigslist.
11. Rent out your vehicle. You dont have to drive for Uber or Lyft to monetize your vehicle. You can it out to your fellow drivers via Turo.
12. Rent out your clothes. Do you have a closet full of clothes that you arent wearing? Rent them on RentNotBuy.
13. Rent out household items. Speaking of RentNotBuy, you can pretty much rent any of your household items out to people. Anything works to rent out, from bicycles, cameras, power tools, and kitchen equipment can all be rented out.
14. Try out Paribus. Paribus is becoming one of my favorite ways to make some fast money. After signing up for free, Paribus scans your emails and looks for receipts from sites like Amazon of Target. It theres been a price drop, then you get a refund.
15. Join Swagbucks. Swagbucks is a popular rewards site where users get paid to browse the internet, complete surveys, watch videos, shop online, or play games. Youll be rewarded by gift cards, and it may take some time to earn $100, but its an incredibly easy way to make money.
16. Join Ebates. With Ebates you earn cash back every time that you shop online. You even get a free $10 gift card just by signing-up.
17. Take online surveys. Getting paid to participate in online surveys won’t make you a millionaire, but sites like Springboard Panel, Harris Poll Online, and Ipsos Panel will pay you up to $95 for surveys that only eat-up 15-2o minutes of your time.
18. Test websites. Companies like User Testing pay people to test the navigation and function of a website. You may have to answer a couple of questions as well, but the entire process only takes about 15 minutes and you have the opportunity to make $30 per hour.
19. Fix search engines. Sites like Leapforce pay you to evaluate search engines. All you have to do is conduct researches on predefined queries. Then you analyze the results and provide feedback.
20. Review stuff. If you have solid writing skills, and love sharing your opinion, then start getting paid to write online reviews on sites like Review Stream and Vindale Research. Youll usually get paid PayPal and payout can range between $25 to $100.
21. Take part in an online focus group. You can also participate in online focus groups, such as ProOpinion. Youll be paid through through a check, gift card, or PayPal deposit.
22. Become a mock jury member. There are attorneys who turn to online mock jurors in order to receive feedback on their cases before they go to trial. Thats when they use sites OnlineVerdict. Cases take-up between 20 minutes to an hour of your time and pay you between $20 to $60.
23. Data entry. Inputting information for companies into a computer system isnt the most stimulating work. On the brightside, data entry jobs dont require any prior experience and its an easy way to make around $10 per hour from the comfort of your home.
24. Customer service representative. As long as you have a landline, internet connection, and decent communication skills, then you can earn between $8-$15 per hour as a customer service rep during your free-time. You can look for customer service rep jobs on Indeed.
25. Tech support. If youre tech savvy then you can make around $13.50 per hour handling technical questions or concerns that customers have regarding a product or service. Checkout Careerbuilder for possible tech support gigs.
26. Bookkeeper. Despite the misconception, you dont have to be a CPA to become a bookkeeper. As long as youre organized, you can make $60 per hour as a virtual bookkeeper.
27. Virtual assistant. Virtual assistants handle a variety of tasks that range from email management, scheduling appointments, making phone calls, or booking hotels. You can make anywhere between $10 to $30 via job boards like Upwork or People Per Hour.
28. Turn your trash into cash. Before you throw out those ink cartridges, wine corks, food packages, moving boxes, or unwanted coupons sell them online. You wont make a fortune, but its one of the easiest ways to pick-up some extra cash. The Penny Hoarder has a great article on how to make money from you trash.
29. Work for Amazon. You cant make a living through Amazon Mechanical Turk, but its a nice way to bring-in some extra cash each month by completing easy tasks like writing product descriptions or identifying performers on music CDs. These tasks usually take under an hour to complete, but youre only paid $6 to $10.
30. Freelance write. If you have a flare for words then you can get paid to write about your hobbies or experience in topics ranging from parenting to marketing. Besides blog posts and articles, there are people who are looking to pen White Papers, website copy, or eBooks. Freelance websites like Upwork, Guru, and Freelancer are great places to find writing gigs. Here is a guide to freelancing that I put together to help.
31. Technical freelancing. Do you have technical skills like programming or graphic design? Then you can use the same freelance websites I just mentioned to land a sweet side gig. Here is a guide to programming that will help you.
32. Tutor/Teach. Whether you’re helping a high school student with math or teaching people to play an instrument or dance, you can make cash. You can tutor or teach people skills either by creating your own online course, or having them come to your home.
33. Play online games. With sites like InboxDollars you can compete for rewards by winning card or puzzle games.
34. At-home daycare. Do you know a lot of people who need a babysitter while theyre at work? Then start your own at-home daycare business. Just remember to secure the proper requirement and insurance, which vary from state-to-state.
35. Pet-sit. If you enjoy the company of dogs and cats then you can find pet-sitting opportunities on sites like Rover.com. The pets stay at your home and you can rake-in around $30 per night.
36. Sewing and alterations. If you have sewing skills that you charge people for alterations, repairs, or even for making handmade bags, bedding, or drapes.
37. Start a referral service. There are a couple of ways that can cash-in on referrals. The first is referring new employees at your current place of employment. The other is referring new businesses and clients to attorneys, doctors, lawyers, local vendors, realtors, or baby-sitters.
38. Travel agent. While there are plenty of websites that can help find the best deals on airline tickets or lodging, not everyone has the time to keep tabs on these deals. After all, prices change daily. Thats why theres still a market for online travel agents.
39. Share your expert advice. Are you knowledgeable in a specific area? Then start cashing in on your expert advice by answering questions on sites like JustAnswer. Even if youre not an expert, you can get a $50 Amazon gift card by just referring an expert.
40. Do paid forum posting. In order to build their authority and trustworthiness, new online website owners will pay writers to create quality posts on on their blog, as well as respond to tweets and moderate online forums. PaidForumPosting.com is a great place to start.
41. Translate documents. If youre bilingual, then you can make between $8 to $18 per hour. Unbabel, for example, pays translators every week through PayPal or Skrill.
42. Consulting. Since you may already be an expert in your field, then start a side-consulting business. Whether if its instructing a business owner to become more eco-friendly or assisting a non-profit with their fundraising efforts, your clients can visit you at your home office or even online through tools like Skype or GoToMeeting.
43. Get healthy. This is probably one of those its too good to be true tactics, but with sites like HealthyWage you can actually make money by sitting a weight loss goal. If you achieve the goal you could get rewarded anywhere from $20 to $500 per month.
44. Watch videos. Both Swagbucks and InboxDollars will pay you to watch movie previews or the latest YouTube videos. Its a pretty simple way to make at least a hundred bucks per month. If you search around you may even be able to make a couple of bucks watching your favorite TV shows on Netflix.
45. Peer-to-peer lend. With the emergence of peer-to-peer lending sites like Prosper and Lending Club you can become an investor and make money from the loan that you issued.
46. Open a new checking or savings account. Believe it or not some banks will give you $250 just for opening up a new checking or savings account. These promotions change frequently, so just do a quick online search for the best bank account bonuses and promotions.
47. Signup up for a rewards credit card. Banks that issue credit cards are also enticing people to sign-up by offering rewards like cash back on every purchase that you make. Im in no advocating that you put yourself in credit card debt, but if you have the means to pay off your balance each month its one of the easiest ways to pick-up some extra cash.
48. Enter contests/competitions. The odds of winning a contest or sweeptake are low, but the more you enter the more likely you are to win a prize. Entering a competition may take a little more effort than most of the other options included in this list, but if you win, the prizes could add-up to thousands of dollars. And, if the prize is a product, you can always flip it.
49. Check for unclaimed funds. The government may actually owe you money from tax refunds or unclaimed back wages. Other unclaimed funds could be from unclaimed deposits from banks or credit unions and savings bonds. USA.gov is an excellent resource to locate these unclaimed funds.
50. Change your spending habits. This may sound more difficult than it is, but if you create a budget you can quickly see some of your unnecessary expenses each month. It could be anything from changing your cable plan to cancelling unused subscriptions or memberships. Any changing of little habits or doing one or two of the suggestions on this list can add-up to an extra couple of hundred dollars in your bank account next month.
John Rampton is a serial entrepreneur who now focuses on helping people to build amazing products and services that scale. He is founder of the online payments company Due. He was recently named #2 on Top 50 Online Influencers in the World by Entrepreneur Magazine. Time Magazine recognized John as a motivations speaker that helps people find a “Sense of Meaning” in their lives. He currently advises several companies in the bay area.
Although your favorite stars might have lifestyles of the rich and famous now, it wasn’t always that way.
Yes, it’s true. They had “normal” jobs before becoming famouswell, if you consider being an adult film set decorator, a Hooters girl, and a lion tamer “normal.”
This Internship star obviously didnt do one at the YMCA, where he was fired as a lifeguard for being late too often probably not a good thing in that whole, saving lives thing.
In order to save up for her first car, she worked at Hooters as a waitress. Calm down. She was 18.
As a kid, he worked in a small circus and was in charge of doing tricks with a female lion named Sheba.
After her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, she dropped out of school at age 17 to work as a massage therapist and help with finances.
No surprise here, but the Magic Mike star was a stripper for eight months when he was 19.
The Spice Girl started as a sperm on roller skates for a BBC sex-education TV show called Body Matters.
What did he do before becoming a mad man? Porn. Well, he was a set dresser in the soft-core porn industry on Cinemax.
Before he was a Broadway star and superhero, he was a gym teacher and a party clown, charging $50 a show.
When she was 16 and directing kids theater, she started working at McDonalds to pay the bills and stayed there for three years.
Image: Huffington Post
He was a crack dealer, and admits that it helped him become business savvy because it taught him about budgets, what you can spend, and what you need to re-up.
Its his lifeand he spent part of it making Christmas decorations to make money which I presume he spent on product for his hair.
He had a string of jobs before finding success as an actor, including cutting tobacco, working in a ladies shoe store, and selling insurance door-to-door.
Before she was a comedian, she worked as not only a bricklayer, but also a beautician in a morgue.
He was a juggler and placedsecond in the International Jugglers Competition in the Junior Division in 1982 and 1983.
The singer (and Weight Watchers spokeswoman) worked at Burger King until she was 18, when she decided to quit and pursue her love of music.
Need something to write this one down? Depp sold pens over the phone for a solicitor.
Did your favorite Friend work in a coffee shop like she did on the show? Nope, but she did work as a telemarketer and a waitress while going to acting auditions.
Although its hard to imagine him doing anything that wasnt completely centered around Kanye, he did work as a sales assistant at the GAP. Ima let you finish, buttry on these khakis first.
Before she was a Dame and a screen icon, she worked at amusement park in Southend as a “blagger,” to attract customers to the rides.
Before going to New York to be a hand model at age 18, he tried to follow in his grandfathers footsteps and train to be a carpenter.
Before going full-on Scientologist, he attended a seminary before getting asked to leave for stealing liquor from a couple of priests.
She actually dropped out of high school at age 16 to work as a debt collector before trying to get into modeling, and then eventually into acting.
Image: Huffington Post
Ironically, he was a hairdresser and then a hairdresser for a mortuary.
To make ends meet while acting, she worked as a secretary during the weeks, and on weekends, during the day, worked as an aerobics instructor and in the evening worked as a hostess.
Although he has a law degree from Glasgow University, he got fired from his first job and hasnt practiced law since.
She has said that if she failed to make it as an actress in Hollywood, she would have pursued a career as a funeral director.
Its no surprise that the Prince of Darkness had a rather dark job he spent time working in a slaughterhouse.
She had a thing for the mall (and food) as a teen and worked at a pizza place and then Hot Dog on a Stick.
After his father lost his job, this funny guy dropped out of high school and worked as a janitor to try and help with the finances.
Before becoming the rock icon he is known as today, he worked as a porter in a psychiatric hospital.
Image: Huffington Post
I guess it’s a good thing they didgive up their day jobs.
Launched on Friday, the Malware Museum gives users the opportunity to experience viruses from the 1980s and 1990s. The defanged versions of the malicious programs were curated byMikko Hypponen, the chief research officer of Finnish security company F-Secure.
Hypponen told the Daily Dot that he has been collecting old viruses since he got started in the business 25 years ago. Upon seeing the Internet Archive’s efforts to preserve all parts of the Web he teamed up with Jason Scott, a historian at the Internet Archive, to breathe new life into the malware of yesteryear.
It’s made possible thanks to the emulation capabilities built into the Internet Archive that simulate old computer systems right inside the browser. Only weeks before the Malware Museum opened, Scott announced the previously hidden DOS emulation capabilities of the Internet Archive. It’s the same feature that allows the site to play host to thousands of classic games that can be played without requiring any additional software.
The viruses on display behind the glass of the Malware Museum show a wide variety of programs designed to attack MS-DOS computers. With no bite left in them, the emulated attackers look closer to pieces of simple, animated art than anything malicious.
“I suppose many old-school virus writers were using their viruses as a means of expression. That’s why we get all these displays of animations, sound, and pictures,” Hypponen said. “Some would call it art.”
With the friendly look, it’s easy to dismiss the viruses as little more than crude creations, but at the time they could certainly cause some major inconveniences. Hypponen that many of the viruses would “be programmed to overwrite files or format hard drives.”
He explained that the malware could be programmed to issue the attack at specific times or act completely at random. “In addition, they would all replicate to new computers, which often lead to compatibility problems.”
The viruses undoubtably caused issueespecially in an era when the practice of keeping backups was less common and required more effort. But it’s hard not to see some of the bugs as being somewhat playful rather than threatening.
The Casino virus hosted in the museum is a perfect example of the clever but problem-causing nature of the old-time malware. The program would make copies of a computer’s files, then overwrite part of the system to make those files inaccessible. The only way the victim could get access back was to win at a game of blackjack.
There isn’t a ton of resemblance between the malware of today and the type collected in the Malware Museum. Not only do the attacks take many different forms now, and rarely are accompanied by vibrant displays, but the motivation is also considerably differentand more sinister.
“Twenty-five years ago, people were writing viruses because they thought it was interesting or fun,” Hypponen said. “Nowadays, most virus writers write malware to make money. Money is being made with credit card-stealing keyloggers, banking trojans, and ransom trojans. Old, happy hackers have pretty much completely disappeared.”
It’s easy to imagine Hypponen is simply nostalgic for a different era when it comes to malware, but his idea of the “happy hackers” does reflect the first virus. Created by Pakistani brothers Basit and Amjad Farooq Alvi in 1986, they described their bug as a friendly virus, that was not made to destroy any data. The same couldn’t be said for the hundreds of thousands of malicious programs that have come since.
If you’d like to experience viruses in a way that won’t require you to backup all your files and run an antivirus when you’re done, the Malware Museum is the safest choice.
Photo via Christiaan Colen/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Washington Post (blog)
Winter storm threat Monday night: Live blogging the model forecasts (UPDATES)
Washington Post (blog)
… * Winter storm watch 7 p.m. Monday to 2 p.m. Tuesday *. A mere 1.4 inches of snow has fallen the entire winter in Washington. If everything comes together just right, we could easily quadruple that total Monday night. But the closer you get to …
You Will Have A Profitable Affiliate Marketing Online Strategy
You can optimize your blog for search engines by using SEO-friendly URLs for every article. If you use your blog site to earn money, most blogging services offer this option, which is a must-do. As an alternative to allowing the company to assign a …
Its deadly and everybody fears it. Cancer. Stats as of late reveal that 1 out of 2 men and 1 out of 3 women will develop some cancer type in their life. And cancer patients are on a steady increase.
Along with cancer, comes cancer treatment which is expensive, and in turn, very profitable. Perhaps thats why a scientist named Johanna Budwig developed a protocol to treat cancer, yet it has all but been denied due to the zero financial profit that it brings. Cancer research gets funded heavily, yet still nothing has come about as far as a cure. Cannabis oil has been of big interest, but yet not available for all cancer patients. Big Pharmas inability to figure out a way to make money off it is chiefly to blame. If it doesnt come with a profit, then it doesnt come at all.
There is a growing interest in the therapy with cannabis oil, but it is not available for all patients that appear every year. As usual in our society, money talks. Even at the expense of healing and saving lives. Money talks. In the cancer industry, its 125 billion a year to be exact. So German scientist Johanna Budwig, came across a cancer cure in 1951. This 6-time nominee for the Nobel Prize who held two doctorates, one in medicine and one in pharmaceutical chemistry, also was an avid student of physics, psychology, and biochemistry.
Heres what she had to say about her cancer cure:
I have the answer to cancer, but American doctors wont listen. They come here and observe my methods and are impressed. Then they want to make a special deal so they can take it home and make a lot of money. I wont do it, so Im blackballed in every country.
She was appointed by the government to lead research into the process of hardening oils into solids, or basically to make margarine. Thus she discovered just how dangerous trans fatty acids (hydrogenated oils) are for human health. And then came the cure for cancer, as well as numerous other diseases, like arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular problems, and liver dysfunctions. She found that cancer cells are cells which lack what is needed to mature and the red blood cells of those with cancer have no fatty layer. Healthy people have that layer.
She went on to treat cancer patients, garnering a 90% success rate. Even those in stage 4 she found success in treating.
Heres what her treatment consisted of:
Nutrition and diet changes.
No animal products except for the quark (a cheese) or cottage cheese, combined with flaxseed oil.
It would be the combo of protein and oil which would provide the right nutrients on a molecular level. The cancer cells would then be absorbed or sloughed off. The body in the meanwhile would be completely healthy in 3 months.
She went on to write six books and a number of articles. But much of her time ended up being spent in litigation with margarine companies. Then her work became restricted through the courts and couldnt be published, despite the life saving methods she was writing about!
Cottage Cheese and Flaxseed Oil Work to Re-energize Cells
She had much success improving her patients during the research and all kinds of cancer were treated.
Heres her guidelines and rules on how to treat cancer:
-You should get sufficient amounts of sunshine in order to stimulate healing in the mind and body
-Drink only purified water
-Avoid meat, sugar, or animal fat
-Never use leftovers, eat the food immediately after preparation
-Avoid all processed foods from your diet
-You should grind flax seeds fresh and consume them within 15 minutes of grinding
-Prepare only fresh and organic fruits and vegetables
-Combine quark or cottage cheese and flaxseed oil in a 2:1 ratio and blend until there is no visible oil floating
-Do not add other ingredients until final cheese mixture results
-Avoid all kinds of drugs and supplements
-In the case of cancer, Dr. Budwig recommended the consumption of 8 tablespoons of flaxseed oil (in the mixture) on a daily basis. For cancer prevention, you can use only a tablespoon daily.
Eliminate all toxic sources, like GMO foods, trans fats, and carcinogen-ridden cooking tools like plastic and Teflon coated pans.
Cancer treatment protocols have since been carried out from a number of cancer experts after they had studied the research of Dr. Budwig. These protocols were designed to stimulate the health and function of cells, by boosting immunity, improving cellular respiration, lowering the acidity in the body, and limiting carcinogens.
Now, after 5 decades, science indeed does use the study of oil and fats and their influence on the body.
Use high-quality ingredients for the best health possible. High grade flax oil and good quality, organic low fat cottage cheese which has enzymes and probiotics.
The Budwig diet protocol can effectively help not just the prevention, but the reversal of cancer.
Heres instructions on how to prepare the Budwig Diet Mixture:
Mix a tablespoon of flax oil and 2 tablespoons of organic low fat cottage cheese or quark for every 100 pounds of an individual. Dosages can be adjusted based on symptoms.
In a glass container, add a tablespoon of cold pressed flaxseed oil, and add two tablespoons of organic, low-fat (2% or less) cottage cheese or quark. Blend them using an immersion blender for a minute. Dont blend by hand.
Now grind up a few tablespoons of brown or golden flaxseeds in a coffee grinder for a minute. Transfer it to a glass bowl and add the oil and cheese mixture. Stir well with a spoon. You can add nuts, fruits, or spices on the top.
And there you go! The ultimate cancer treatment proven effective for many!
Sources and References:
Featured image source: allnaturalwarrior.com
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
These Milwaukee Instagrammers are cashing in on their popularity
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Milwaukee fashion blogger Drew Westphal, a.k.a. @everydaydrew on Instagram, has enough followers on social media that brands give him products to wear and to post on his social media accounts. It's called influence marketing. Mike De Sisti / Milwaukee …